Use of Aziz implies you have read and agreed to the following terms and conditions:
|KAU||King Abdulaziz University|
|HPC||High Performance Computing|
|HPCC||High Performance Computing Center|
|Aziz||KAU HPC System|
|DIT||Deanship of Information Technology at KAU|
2. Account Requirements
An account is required to access Aziz resources. Accounts are available to KAU faculty, researchers, and graduate students upon approval of the faculty advisor. Non-KAU researchers can access Aziz if they are collaborating with KAU personal on a joint research requiring Aziz services, or with the formal approval of the Director of the HPPC. Applications for accounts are reviewed by HPCC management and processed within two weeks. All applications are evaluated on the basis of technical merit and accomplishment. The HPCC reviews applications based on the justification of computational need and a demonstration of Aziz computing resources being used effectively. By default, all Aziz accounts are annually terminated. Accounts are renewed by HPCC based on work done in the previous year and a compliance with the requirements stipulated in items 3 and 8 of the Terms of Service.
3. Project Requirements
When requesting an allocation of Aziz resources, one is expected to explain the nature of the research from a computational perspective, detail the experience of researchers who use machines along the same lines as Aziz, provide information concerning grants or other funding used to support the project, and describe how computing resources will be used in the research. In order to obtain access to the Aziz systems and services, Principal Investigators (PIs) are required to submit detailed research proposals for their projects to the HPCC. Usage of Aziz systems and supporting services will be priced and charged in accordance with the policies dictated by the HPCC. Project proposals must be submitted using the Aziz Project Proposal (APP) form. The form indicates the elements taken into consideration when assessing a project proposal for the allocation of resources and services, reviewing of a project’s progress after approval, and when analyzing the project costs. Project PIs are required to submit progress reports pertaining to their project every six months, starting from the date of account creation. In addition to details of the project itself, progress reports need to include the following:
- A description of activities on Aziz since the previous report.
- Progress of work in relation to the work schedule as submitted with the Project Proposal.
- List of publications resulting from the project since the previous report.
- Expected completion date of the project.
- Additional resources required to complete the project.
Please note that projects will not be approved or set up without the organization/institution having submitted an “Organizational Access Application (OAA)”. All users working on the project must also submit an “Individual Access Application (IAA).” The Project Proposal, IAA, and OAA forms are available for download at: http://hpc.kau.edu.sa
4. Information Security Requirements
Information Security (InfoSec) and Information Systems Management (ISM) policies are critical to KAU’s HPC activities, as Aziz facilities at KAU represent a major component of KAU’s Information Technology infrastructure. InfoSec is the responsibility of every KAU employee, as well as any individual or entity that uses KAU systems. Users must maintain a high level of security in their use of KAU Information Resources by means of appropriate behavior. This includes maintaining the confidentiality of passwords and the use of encryption tools for KAU Classified Information. Users should not engage in activities that would disrupt or compromise the availability, integrity, or security of KAU information or KAU systems, or which would result in their misuse. All potential security breaches must be reported to DIT management immediately. The InfoSec and ISM policies applicable to Aziz facilities at KAU are largely based upon the InfoSec and ISM policies in regard to the whole of KAU, as determined by the DIT. Aziz users must refer to and comply with these policies.
5. Personal Privacy
Users should have no expectation of privacy concerning their use of Aziz, including KAU-provided computing equipment, the KAU Intranet, KAU provided access to the public Internet, or other KAU information systems. The required use of passwords to gain access to Aziz is for KAU’s protection, and does NOT imply that users can expect their work and use of the system at KAU to be considered private. By using these systems, and to the extent permitted by applicable law, users specifically consent to having their use of the system and communications monitored and recorded. This consent only applies to the use of the systems at KAU, and does not apply when a user obtains access to the public Internet outside of the KAU computing environment or network (i.e. when access is not provided by KAU), such as when using their own personal computer. Users are advised that where possible illegal activity is detected, all information related to such an activity, including text and images, may be provided to law enforcement authorities or third parties without prior notice to, or the consent of, the user(s) concerned.
6. Confidential Information & Intellectual Property (IP) Requirements
6.1 Copyright and Intellectual Property
Most of the information and software (programs, audio, video, data files, etc.) that is publicly available (including on the Internet) is subject to copyright or other intellectual property right protection. When obtaining material for use on Aziz:
- Do not obtain software from the sources mentioned unless permission has been granted by the material owner and the HPCC Sys Admin Team.
- All software on the Aziz is to be installed by the HPCC Sys Admin Team. If additional software is required, a request for such is to be placed with the HPCC Sys Admin Team. The HPCC Sys Admin Team will examine any applicable software copyright restrictions and discuss possible issues with the requestor prior to the software’s installation. If the HPCC Sys Admin Team believes that KAU will not be able to comply with any part of the terms and conditions of use, the software will not be installed on Aziz.
- Ensure compliance with any expressed requirements or limitations attached to the use of such software, e.g. not to be used for commercial purposes, cannot charge others for use or distribution, subject to a copyright or attribution notice being affixed to each copy, must distribute source code, etc.
- If you are unsure of or have questions regarding to the meaning of the restrictive language, contact the HPCC Sys Admin Team and KAU Legal before use thereof.
- Assistance and approval from KAU Legal must be obtained before incorporating any material that is not KAU property into a product or material that KAU intends for external distribution.
In situations where non-KAU assets are being used for KAU business, HPCC is released from all liability in the event of loss/damage to the equipment and/or information. In instances where a non-KAU workstation is used as part of a contractual relationship, appropriate releases must be signed as part of the agreement between KAU and the contracted organization or company.
7. Remote Connections to KAU Networks and SystemsWhen connected to a non-KAU network, a KAU-approved remote access solution must be used to establish connectivity with KAU. Contact DIT for information on approved remote access solutions.
KAU ‘Aziz’ HPC System Terms of Service April 2015
Please make sure you have fully understood and agreed on the following two crucial points
8. Acknowledgement of Aziz in Research Publications
In situations where the results of research conducted on Aziz is published, or where the research conducted involved personnel from KAU who benefited from Aziz, and/or if HPPC personnel was involved in the research, Principal Investigators (PIs) are required to acknowledge this. An example of a statement for possible use: “Computation for the work described in this paper was supported by King Abdulaziz University’s High Performance Computing Center (Aziz Supercomputer) (http://hpc.kau.edu.sa).” Another example: “The simulations in this work were performed at King Abdulaziz University’s High Performance Computing Center (Aziz Supercomputer) (http://hpc.kau.edu.sa)” Copies of published papers acknowledging HPCC need to be submitted to HPCC for inclusion on the HPCC website, under the publications page. Publication information (i.e. a URL and PDF file of the actual publication) and possible publication restrictions need to be included. Compliance with this policy will be a factor when evaluating account renewals.
9. Potential Consequences for Violation of Aziz Terms of ServiceFailure to comply with Aziz policies or respond to a request regarding information by HPCC may result in termination of a user's access to Aziz. Users may be held responsible for damages to KAU's IT systems caused by the violation of these policies.